The Carson Family

I met the Carson family almost exactly one year ago.  It was a dark and rainy day.  Three awesome photographers from Arkansas came out to spend the day with me and get some California sun.  The Carson’s were our models.  Actually, they weren’t my first choice for models.  I had another family already scheduled and that same day I got an email from Julie with her family’s story.  It was an incredible story and pulled at my heartstrings so I cancelled on the other family, which I hated to do, but a family like the Carsons only comes around every so often.  The day of our shoot just happened to be what would have been their first daughter, Joy’s, 7th birthday.  I know that shoot and that day had a big impact on me and I know it did for the girls from Arkansas as well.

Over the past year, Julie and I have become friends.  She makes me laugh (a lot!) and she makes me want to become a better mom and friend.  While most of our talking is done via email and twitter I totally value her friendship and I feel so lucky to have her in my life!  I just adore her little girls!  And Jason is my biggest cheerleader on shoots.  I love it!  Although, this family does have one fault.  They are Trojan fans!

While planning this shoot she asked if I had a wish list or places I wanted to shoot.  I jokingly told her that I wanted a canopy bed in the middle of a field.  Note to self, don’t joke with Julie.  Julie went on Craiglist and got a canopy bed.  And she even painted it green.  And then she made bedding for the bed.  And then she sewed the girls outfits.  She is one crazy talented lady!  Jason and Julie’s Dad brought the bed down to the area where we were shooting and set it up.  Poor Julie’s Dad had to stay with the bed for over 30 minutes!  I’m surprised the cops didn’t come down to see what he was up to!

Thank you to Julie and Jason for going all out for this shoot!  You guys rock and have the cutest family I have ever seen!  I hope you know how thankful I am that we found each other!  Here’s your slideshow!

IMG_1157copy copy

IMG_1781copy copy

IMG_1828copy copy

IMG_1864copy copy

IMG_1935copy copy

IMG_2015copy copy

IMG_2102copy copy

This entry was posted in Then Comes Baby. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to The Carson Family

1. Oh my goodness…..how perfectly fun are these!? LOVE LOVE LOVE the bed , so perfect! And I totally remember this adorable family – do they just get cuter and cuter!? Great job Drew!!

2. Misty says:

AMAZING! but I expect nothing less from you Drew :)

3. What a GORGEOUS family!! I love everything about this shoot – the beautiful girls, the gorgeous outfits – that green canopy bed!! So happy to see these!

4. mel says:

This is the coolest & most beautiful photo shoot I have EVER seen. EVER.
    (and, I am not just saying this because I am friends with Julie)
    The slideshow is amazing! I can’t decide on a favorite….I love them all!
    Great job Drew (& Julie)! Both of you outdid yourself on this one!!

5. Kimmie says:

Julie, your talents leave me speechless! I LOVE the girls outfits SO much! I love the Joy pillow- so sweet! Looks like you have some awesome photos to frame in your new kitchen! Drew, you’ve done it again…perfection.

6. Jamie says:

These are amazing, I love each and every shoot you do!!! I love the use of the bed, I actually have a session scheduled where we are using the clients bed, its been rescheduled 3 times due to rain already!! So neat to see that I have similar ideas to an AMAZING photographer!!

7. Kristen says:

Your two talents combined = Wowzers!

8. These are so beautiful! I cannot get over how much I love the bed outside!!!

9. Bobbie Brown says:

OH my goodness! LOVE the bed. LOVE the clothes. LOVE those blue eyes. LOVE the bedding. LOVE every single one of these pictures!!!!! Seriously, this is def on the top of my favorite shoots you’ve done! Wow!!!!! One of my favorite customers told me she wants me to shoot her kids on a bed outside this spring/summer… and seeing these makes me even more excited!

10. Cat Watson says:

That is awesome. The colors are so beautiful and vibrant! You and this family both rocked this shoot!

11. tonya joy says:

drew, i am in love with everything about this shoot!!!! amazing…julie…you are so incredibly cute, creative, and beautiful….can i please have amy butler back…evidently she snuck out and went to your new place…

stunning…vibrant…fresh…love it!

xoxo

Tonya

12. jamie says:

DREW! I love it! That trip (a year ago-oh my) was one of the most amazing experiances I have had! This family has left a lasting impression on me that I will always have. I am SO SO glad to be able to see them grow. I can not believe how big they are getting.
    The JOY pillow makes me cry… Julie~ you are wonderful and so talented. Jason~ I am still in aw, you are such a great daddy.
    Love it! And great job mrs Drew :)

13. Carolyn says:

These are AWESOME! love the bed and all the color. AAAAMAzing.

14. Emily says:

Oh my amazing! These photos are GORGEOUS and GORGEOUS kiddos and parents too. Love!

15. sherry says:

precious.precious.precious

16. laura h. says:

that is such a beautiful series of photos!! i’m in love. awesome awesome awesome!

17. Erica says:

Those outfits are amazing!! Wonderful photos, you are so talented!

18. Maggie says:

Amazing, simply amazing!

19. Brandy says:

Gorgeous! The colors and location are fabulous. Beautiful family too!

20. Jess says:

what a fun shoot :) I love reading her blog!

21. Amy C says:

What a dream! You ROCK, and obviously so does Julie!!!

22. These are beautiful. I love all the clothing, so bright and colorful. This looks like such a wonderful family, I had to go over and check out her blog. She is so inspiring. I love this post!

23. Tanya Rudman says:

ooo I love there little outfits, beautifully done! :)

24. shannon says:

wow!! these are awesome! the clothes, the set up….fantastic session!

25. Alicia says:

I have always remembered the post about this family from last year. Loved the Joy pillow for this shoot. What a great way to remember. So many favorites, can’t choose one!

26. Erica says:

These are absolutely phenomenal!!!!!!!!! You two (Drew and Julie) make a great team for ideas! I only wish I lived in Cali!

27. Megan Beth says:

Wow, these are awesome Drew…so fun! What a vision you had, and it turned out amazing. That last one is def my favorite, perfect action/jumping shot. :)

28. Trista says:

Dude..totally rad session!! I love it!!! The canopy idea was genius!!! Their outfits are way too cute!!

29. Catharine says:

I want the bed, I want those hats, I want that quilt, I want those dresses. Can you tell I have a coveting issue today? yowza! What a great set-up and awesome photos as usual!

30. cuteness all the way!

31. Stephanie says:

Can I just say that you have SUCH an amazing talent with light. You know how to use it just right and it rocks in everyone one of your pictures. I can tell you really nail your expsosures, they are awesome pics!!! The thing I love about your pics is that they are so natural and the colors are beautiful!!!

32. colleen says:

i saw these photos on joy’s hope last week and i have been dreaming in these colors ever since. sigh! what fantastic photos capturing a fun color scheme and an adorable family. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!

33. Brandi says:

I wish I had family photos of my family like that! Beautiful colors, beautiful family:)

34. traci says:

oh my word. this is amazing.

35. Pingback: The Lens Loves… The Carson Family : The Lens Loves